Sunday, November 20, 2011

Weekend update

I'm working on the laminitis posts, here's a heads up that there will be multiple ones and some of them will be pretty technical, there's no way around that. I'm going to start with a post on how the hoof wall grows but I've still got to wrap my mind around Pollitt's theory vs. Bowker's theory. They aren't the same, not at all.

In the meantime, here's a video showing that bum squeeze I was telling you about a few weeks ago. The only thing I was doing was squeezing my cheeks, I wasn't doing anything with my hands or my legs except get him organized.

Gwen did some really good work today. I put two cones up and we worked on walking to a cone, turning around it and then walking to the other cone. She did pretty well, the steering got a bit wacky at times (she was very interested in the barn for some reason) but we eventually ended up where I wanted to be. We even finished up by walking in a circle around a cone, I was pretty pleased with that. She's getting to be a riding horse, by golly!

5 comments:

  1. I'm finding the bum squeeze interesting. If I ever get back on I'm going to try it.

    Go Gwen! What a good girl she's being. Sounds like you had a very good session.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoorah for bitless and bareback :)
    I can't wait to read your future posts b/c I too am trying to figure out ' how do I get his soles/hoof wall to grow' and WHERE is it coming from exactly? Coronet band? Under Coffin bone? Heaven???

    ReplyDelete
  3. GHM- I'm sure you'll be back on board before you know it :)

    Kristen- from god's hands to Laz's hooves- unfortunately god is a bit busy right now, he'll have to get back to you later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I have a question for you.

    Is he dropping his head when you tighten or when you release your bum? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I tighten his head goes down, when I release he picks his head back up.

    ReplyDelete