Thursday, June 20, 2013

Best. Things. Ever.

To what do I refer?

Feedbags

I kid you not, if you have pasture-kept horses these things are brilliant.

A few months ago a certain gelding decided that eating a few bites out of his feed pan and then kicking his grain out all over the ground before grinding it all into the mud was a good idea. He would then proceed to do the same to his sister's food.

Now imagine that there's a heavily pregnant woman ranting at him about how he's wasting ALL OF HER FREAKING MONEY.

Yeah, it's kind of amusing. Now. It wasn't then.

So when I had had enough, I bought them feedbags and said to Coriander, "There, try to dump your feed all over the ground now." Hahahahahahahaa.

Amazingly, both horses took to them immediately, even Every-New-Object-Is-Potentially-Life-Threatening Gwen. Probably because it was filled with food. Now there is no more food dumping and no more stealing the other's rations. Even better, you can squirt their wormer into their feed and they will eat it! Thank you Paradigm Farms for introducing me to this concept. No more drama over worming! I LOVE my feedbags!

The brilliance in action:



That's about it for horse excitement around here. I manage to sneak in some ground work a few days a week and I'm slowing getting their feet back under control. Getting so big you can't trim your own toenails kind of gets in the way of trimming your horses. I did take a few rides about 4 weeks postpartum but then the land-owners IR mare came back and in jerry-rigging the fence to keep her off the pasture, the gate kind of disappeared, so that ended riding for the time being. But that's okay, taking care of my little dude has pretty much trumped everything else. An exciting change is in the horizon for the horses though- more on that next month. In the meantime here is a gratuitous photo of my little cowboy:



24 comments:

  1. What a handsome little dude!
    And a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea with the feed bags. If I ever need them it's good to know.

    What a beautiful little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh lordy - he's so handsome - sporting his horsey blanket. Glad you're making your way back to the horses. Great to hear from you. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Full disclosure- that blanket is just a piece of flannel, I haven't even hemmed it yet. Fraying all over the place...

      Delete
  4. I think that is the cutest cowboy I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great way to administer supplement to a picky eater too! I might need to get one to have on standby.

    He's adorable! They're extra cute when they're sleeping, from what I hear. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that too. My two are always picky about supplements, now they just eat them.

      Delete
  6. Paradigm's use of feed bags is a great example - works wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great feedbag tip and your little cowboy is just perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your little cowboy is ADORABLE, and you're right, feed backs are the BESTEST. The only problem I have with them is if I'm not super-quick removing them, they all go to the water trough for the after-meal drink. What a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Go You...Oh, That Was Supposed To Be A"Hi You", But Go You, More Appropriate!!!

    Your Little Cowboy Man, Really Made Me Smile! Already For The Bucking Bonk, Arm Up, For Balance!
    He's Adorable.
    The Horses Surely Can't Steal Grain, That Way!

    Good To Know You're Doing Fine!

    I'm In Emergency With My Nephew..Came Off His Motorbike. What Ever You Get Up On, You Can Come Off Of, As You Know. He's Gonna Be Fine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think that he's in bronc riding pose but he is! Don't tell my husband, he'd freak ;)

      Delete
  10. Nice to see you're back :-)
    Lovely boy you have!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cowboy is precious!

    I laughed off a feedbag suggestion one time. Maybe I should try it. What about cleaning them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bucket of water and a little soap does them up pretty well. Or you could probably throw them in the washing machine. They don't get pristine but clean enough.

      Delete