Sunday, December 4, 2011

Laminitis research

As promised here are the links to my sources for the laminitis posts. You'll see a lot of Pollitt on this list, since he's considered the world expert on laminitis I went to his research first.

Microanatomy of the hoof wall (Pollitt)

Recent research into laminitis (Huntington et al)

Equine Laminitis: Current Concepts (Pollitt, 2008) This link sends you to an automatic pdf download

Cryotherapy Reduced the Severity of Laminitis Evaluated 7 Days After Induction With Oligofructose (van Eps and Pollitt, 2006)

Equine Laminitis (Pollitt et al, 2003)

Understanding Laminitis webinar with Jim Belknap and Rustin Moore.

Laminitis diagnosis and treatment webinar

The wooden shoe as an option for treating chronic laminitis (O'Grady and Steward, 2009)

Care and Rehabilitation of the Equine Foot (Pete Ramey, 2011) Specifically the chapters written by Robert Bowker, Eleanor Kellon, and Debra Taylor.

If you only look at one, I highly recommend "Equine Laminitis: Current Concepts." It's long but everything is in there.

*********************************************************************************

In the meantime, I thought you might be interested in the new developments in Zippy's feet. Look and see what I uncovered yesterday.


Big honking disease pockets where that massive wall separation was. The sole was just peeling off like a scab. Fascinating.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the links, I can see I have my reading cut out for me for a while.

    As for the hoof, I can see why you are fascinated with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh..what laminitic horses must go through! Holy cow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GHM I feel like I should be thanking Zippy's owner for the chance to work with him. It's been amazing to see him go through the healing process, fortunately he's been feeling better and better, even with peeling sole!

    Fetlock there's a reason why I didn't go into how Pollitt did his research- it would make standardbred enthusiasts cry. Hopefully their lives will mean the salvation for many, many others. Unless that's not what your comment meant at all, sometimes I don't interpret very well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the research links. I will have to check them out.

    The hooves are very interesting. Do I also see some bruising?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, there's bruising galore. I don't think it's recent though, most of the pink you see is in the loose flap of sole that's starting to come off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch! That looks like it hurts!

    Thanks for the reading material. . .now I have something to do at work today :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your boss didn't see you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...is that is "growing out" and on the mend, I assume? Thanks for all the links! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup, it turns out everything that was on top was garbage, so it has to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yea, ouch. So, do you see positive growth as your remove parts of that 'dead' damaged sole? Is your client keeping her horse's hoof in a boot or soaking in any WL to keep clean as spots are open?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I'm confident that everything underneath it is going to be healthy, but that's because it's getting out and exposed. I think of it like a house, you can have a nice hardwood floor but if it's nailed onto rotted beams that floor isn't good for anything. Best to tear up the floor and replace the beams.

    He's actually been pretty comfortable through this. She keeps him booted, dusts daily with No Thrush, and soaks him with White Lightening twice a week. At least she says she does...

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are many types of laminitis in horsemanship field but the dietary laminitis can affect all types of horses and ponies at any time of the year. However, seasonal changes in the grass can have an effect.

    ReplyDelete