Monday, December 28, 2009

Lounging Around

When did lunging become lounging? I know what lounging is, it's what I do when I flop on the couch and put my feet up - that's completely different from lunging. But for some reason everyone on the web writes lounging for lunging, drives me nutty.

Anyway, I lunged the quarters today. Coriander's session was compromised by my barn owner's boxer puppy. It's pretty hard to lunge a horse with a dog hanging off the end of your whip. I should have just left it in the barn, he doesn't need it anyway. Oh well, next time.

Fortunately the puppy was in the house by the time I brought Gwen out (I left the whip in the barn anyway). My crazy, baby girl is learning! She was going around all haphazard until finally something clicked. Right in a row, I got one good walk to trot, trot to walk, and walk to whoa transition. I called it a day after that. The most important rule of horse training is to not get greedy. End on a good note, let the horse think about what they've learned and they'll improve much faster than if you push.

Remember that Santa hat from Christmas that Gwen was wearing? Well here's a little picture that I think really portrays her opinion of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment